CCF: A Slave to the Law of Sin

(Romans 7:14-25)

by Pastor Caloy

Are there moments in your life that you find yourself having good intentions but still ending up in bad situations? You want to do the right thing but you end up committing the same mistakes. Yes it's frustrating, oftentimes we blame it to the Law that seems to be restricting us. The truth is the Law is perfect and holy, it points out that we are unholy and it recognizes that we are sinful. The real problem is the heart of man. While non believers may not recognize that they are in bondage of sin, Christian may know but can still be sinning. Because we are all human flesh and therefore subject to sin.

There are three horrors to experiencing sin's stronghold.

It baffles your brain. Before knowing Jesus, the things that we do before doesn't bother us, but the moment we receive Him in our lives, we become sensitive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit whenever we do things that are not pleasing to Him.
For that which I am doing, I do not understand…” (v.15a)
It whips your will. There is a fine line between doing and practicing. We all make a mistakes sometimes(DOING) But if we are not careful, the progression of doing becomes a practice and may shape our character. The moment we are in bondage to sin, our will has no power to save us, not determination, not positive thinking nor best effort.
I’m not practicing what I wish… I’m doing what I hate… I’m doing what I do not wish” (v. 15b-16a)

It hijacks your house. Sin indwells every person.
So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin indwells me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh… But if I am doing the very thing I do not wish, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me” (vv. 17-18a; 20)
Knowing all the horrors of SIN, the good news is there are hints and way to break its stronghold in our lives.

Recognize a residual tyrant. As new creation of Christ, we need to be aware that we'll have hangover from the past. While we can survive sin, we are not suppose to make it reign in our lives.
I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wishes to do good (v. 21).

Reckon a real transformation. You may not be perfect right now, but you are renewed by the Holy Spirit day by day. Be patient with yourself, just life how God is patient with you.
For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man (v.22)

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. – 2 Cor 4:16
Respect a relentless tension. We belong in two ages, the present with all its sinfulness and the future with the coming of Jesus Christ. It is fundamental to understand that although we live in the present days, sin is not the definer of our lives, because the time is near, until the coming of Jesus Christ when Satan will be defeated.
But I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members (v. 23)

Respond with a resounding triumph. Jesus Christ is our redemption. He is the only way to restore us from sinfulness. While it is true that dilemma is real, we take courage because deliverance is also sure for those who believes in Him.
Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin (v. 24).

And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. --Galatians 5:24

Sometimes the hunger of pleasure is so rich that we ignore its danger. What we need in our lives is a greater passion that transcends all other passions that we have – that is a growing relationship with Jesus that can dominate any hunger of this world.

Transcribed by:

Comments

Popular Posts