Book: Atomic Habits

Image courtesy of Amazon
Author: James Clear


As I intend to start good habits this 2021, found myself listening to "Atomic Habits" audiobook. Love how James Clear presented the steps on how to create and break good habits in the most simplified and granular fashion. 

Concise. Clear. Comes with examples and practical applications.


3 Layers of Behaviour Change


Outcomes    - Goal

Processes    - System

Identity         - Person (Most powerful)

Example:

Quit smoking    vs     I'm not a smoker

Read a book     vs    A reader

Bike 100 miles  vs    A cyclist

Run 42 miles     vs   A marathoner/runner


Habits 101

Habits are autopilot scripts your brain writes to decrease the cognitive loads of solving recurring problems

    Discipline = Freedom


Four Habit Cycle

  1. Cue
  2. Craving
  3. Response
  4. Reward


How to Create Good Habits?


1. Cue: Make it obvious

Implementation Intention: I will do [behavior] at [time] in [location]

Habit Stacking: After [current habit] I will [new habit] 

 

2. Craving: Make it attractive

Temptation Bundling: 

After [current habit], I will [habit I need]

After [habit I need], I will [habit I want]


You are the average of the five people you spend most with


I [have -> get] to exercise

I’m [scared -> excited] to speak


Rule: Never miss twice


3. Response: Make it Easy


Reduce friction - good habits

Increase friction - bad habits 

 

4. Reward: Make it Satisfying


Incentive - starts the habit

Identity - sustains

Measure your progress (Fitbit, strata). Automate. 

 


How to Break Good Habits?

  1. Cue: Make it invisible
  2. Craving: Make it unattractive
  3. Response: Make it difficult
  4. Reward: Make it unsatisfying

Motivation is overrated. Environment matters.



Comments

Popular Posts