Three Things I Learned from Watching Overcomer

Last Friday, June 12th B1G Singapore Single's ministry hosted a watch party featuring the movie "Overcomer." Released in 2019, this is an inspiration-based fictional story of a high-school basketball coach(John Harrison) compelled to coach a troubled teen(Hannah Scott) in cross country running sport. Story unfolds on Hannah meeting her real father(Thomas Hill), a former cross-country runner but now battling with disease, who later on coached her to win the gold in the cross-country state finals. Ultimately, through the love and guidance of Coach John's family and the school principal, Hannah finds her true identity in Christ.

We can also see Ephesians 1 and 2 of the Bible featured in the movie, focusing on identity, which many young people in our generation struggles with.

After watching the movie, all 82 participants were distributed into break out groups(BOG) to digest the message and to answer the question, "What is your main takeaway in the movie and how can you apply it on your daily walk in Christ?" Thirty minutes is insufficient to discuss this lesson-packed movie, so here's an extension of my thoughts and the three things I learned from watching this film.

1. God is the God of second chances.
Thomas Hill messed up in his life, big time. He was selfish and ambitious, he hurt many people, he was into drugs, he run away from his responsibility and abandoned his daughter. But in spite of everything, God gave him another chance of redemption. The consequences of his bad choices in life was inevitable but he is now facing it with a different perspective. He was a changed man, humble and responsible for his wrong acts in the past. God not only delivered him from his past, He also restored his relationships.

2. I needed to be broken, then He(God) finally got my attention. 
Paraphrasing Thomas Hill when he was explaining himself to Hannah. Oftentimes, when everything is working well in our lives, we tend to forget God and ignore His small nudges on us. Until all the important things that gives us security - thriving career, loved ones, abilities and even our health - are taken away from us, and the only thing left is God. It will be painful for sure, for no one desire to be disciplined. But if you persevere, reach towards God instead of run away from Him, you will immerse to be an overcomer. During this time the bible verse, "My grace is sufficient for you." will be so real and take on a different meaning.

3. Who am I?
Hannah Scott: Ask me who I am?
Coach John: Who is Hannah Scott?
Hannah Scott: I am created by God, He designed me, so I'm not a mistake. His son died for me, just so I could be forgiven. He picked me to be His own, so I'm chosen.

The two most important days in your life is the day you were born and the day you find out why. For Hannah, knowing Jesus Christ and surrendering her life to God, gave her her true identity. She is no longer just a teenager who runs cross-country because its the only thing she is good at. Through the love of God, she discovers her innermost being and a purpose for life.

By the end of BOG, one of the group's activity was to create a poster inspired from the movie. Given the limited time and resources, here's what our group of four came up with :D

Expectation


Reality :D
(left to right) Benjo, me, Joanne and Cheryl

Comments

Popular Posts