No Phone, No Problem!

It was an ordinary working day, took the elevator and passed by our block as I rush to work when I realised my phone is not in my bag. Do I go back home to get it or carry on and try to live the day without the gadget. Oh well I'm too lazy I did the latter, plus wanted something unusual that day.

In a day and age when phone is no longer a want but a necessity, can I make it through the day? Will I regret not going back to get it while it's still nearby? Somehow the thought of spending the day without a phone challenges me. So no phone it is!

The experience was liberating! I realised how reliant I have become to my phone, that I check it so often it feels like a muscle memory. One article of the New York Post said, "Americans check their phone on average once every 12 minutes – burying their heads in their phones 80 times a day, according to new research." Recent article from INC.com said, "A surprising stat from last year found that Millennials check their phone 150 times per day."

Surprisingly even without the tool that I thought could make me organised and more efficient, that day is one of the most productive day I had in the office. Simply because there was no distraction.

On my way home, I noticed the guy who setup his speaker and guitar in front of SingPost singing songs, what a great voice and talent. While riding the MTR, I noticed nine out of ten passengers if not all of them at one time are all looking at their phones. One is responding to group chat, the other is playing some candy crash like game, one girl is shopping online. while the other is mindlessly scrolling and flipping through his Facebook wall and IG photos. If I had my phone that day, I will be one of them trying to look busy.

Noticed the lady bus driver who is diligently drives and prayed for her safety.
Noticed the sleepy kid in the bus on my way home who's head keeps falling, I lose track counting how many time his head fell. Prayed he will find good rest tonight and grow up to fulfil his dreams.
Noticed the couple who had a cranky kid and prayed that they would soon understand and find what's making their child irritable.
Noticed the girl who wears bluetooth earphones and was very much engrossed into her music, she was even lip-syncing the song. Happy soul!

There is so much more beyond the 6.3 inch screen of our mobile phones, only if we care enough to see not only the things but the people around us.

Image courtesy of heimdalsecurity.com

Comments

Popular Posts