The Message of Rain

Few weeks ago I remember asking God to send rain just because lately the weather in Singapore has been
scorching and working from home can be uncomfortable. For others, it may sound a little ungrateful but I associate it to a child showing affection to her father asking for trivial things because she knows her Dad is very much capable of doing it. I don't mind a gloomy weather Lord, as long as it brings down the temperature and lessens the humidity. The following day to my surprise, dark clouds formed in the sky far beyond us. It hasn't reached our area yet, but I'm pretty sure it's raining on that side of Singapore. There's hope of rain, I said to myself, maybe later this afternoon. So I waited and waited but it didn't rain in our place that day. Should I be disappointed? A hint of it. But wait, God did answer my prayer - it did rain! Not in my place, but in other parts of Singapore. Hmmm, maybe I should be more specific when asking God next time.

Several days after vividly praying for rain, the weather in Simei area became cloudy with most of the days raining. What a calming treat!  

Two months of work from home setup has transformed my appreciation to rain, which I often dismiss in the past and sometimes made me uneasy having the thought of being stuck in the rain or getting my shoes soaked. But lately, simple rain can make my day. Imagining myself sipping hot coffee and staring outside the window watching the raindrops kissed the ground. Somehow the rain gave me a comforting feeling to work from home.

Fast forward to today, as I go through my Bible reading in the book of Zechariah from the Old Testament. Chapter 10 verse 1 reads,
Ask the Lord for rain in the spring,
for he makes the storm clouds.
And he will send showers of rain
so every field becomes a lush pasture.
As I scan through each word in this verse, its like hearing God whispering to me, "It's okay to ask my child, I hear your request and more than happy to grant your heart's desire."

Thank you, Lord, for the season of rain. Thank you for sending love from heaven through the thousand, million drops. Creating ripples and gentle sound. Some drops were small, just enough to dance with the wind. Others have to be wide to sweep away all my anxieties. As the wind tries to break in my window, I wrap myself in it, feeling safe in Your arms. Through the rain - I heard you, I smell you, I felt you, I understood you, I witness you.

Comments

Popular Posts