Real Life Doppelganger

Research says that finding your doppelganger is one in a trillion chance, that's way far from the actual population we have -- more than 7.4 billion people(and counting) living on planet earth according to this site. Although this study is close to impossible, there are few lucky people who beat the odds and find their real-life look-alike.

Adopted from German word Doppelgänger, consisting of two words Doppel meaning double and Gänger which means walker or goer. Literally, it means double of a living person. While fiction portrays doppelganger as a paranormal phenomenon, today the word is generally used to describe any person who physically resembles another person.

Unimaginable as it can be, I have found my real-life doppelganger in the workplace. Personally did not notice the resemblance, it was my close friends who first saw Kathy and told me I have a look-alike in another department. Few weeks later I finally met her, who happens to be Filipino as well and realize we're attending the same church. This doppelganger wonder between me and Kathy became more substantial when overtime more and more people are mistakenly identifying me over her and vice versa, both in church and in the office.

To name a few, here are some of the funny and awkward circumstances where other people wrongly identified us:

Church
** One Sunday, one guy called Kathy with my name, where she answered her name back to correct him. This name-calling-game happened twice, and consistently Kathy corrects her name. Baffled, the guy even asks why we look the same. That's a hard question to answer.
** Same Sunday, one girl from Children's ministry(where I am volunteering) called Kathy with my name and thought I was her.
** Different occasions, while I am having lunch with a mixed group of men and ladies in my small group. I was introduced to a guy, who is puzzled that I am part of the CBD group when he recalls that I am the one who introduced him to a certain girl whom I don't recognize. After lunch, I immediately message Kathy if she knew the girl and confirmed she was part of their group. This confirmed my assumption that he mistakenly identified me with Kathy.

Office
** During the hackathon where our team is doing the mannequin challenge shoot, we were reviewing the video and as the camera pan to Kathy, the man beside me commented "Ooh that is the Girlie post, where is she?" I answered, "Uhmm that is Kathy."
** One guy is asking me about blister tape which I agreed to bring to show him in our Tuesday running session. Kathy arrives early and this same guy approaches her asking about the tape. Kathy was so lost answering about the tape, thankfully one guy corrected she was not Girlie.
** During badminton, one guy approached me telling me he saw pictures of mine traveling with a girl named Cristine(who happens to be his former colleague) whom I am not familiar with. He even showed me the profile pic of the girl, still no recall in my side. That night I message Kathy if she knew some Cristine, Kathy confirmed it was her housemate whom she had traveled with.
** Kathy bump into a colleague whom she greeted "long time no see" but the girl replied she just saw her yesterday in badminton. Kathy has never played badminton on Mondays for a long time, I do.
** One girl saw Kathy in 11F after some chit chat she mentioned she thought Kathy sit in 8F because she used to saw her there. Kathy persists she never sits on the 8th. Oh yeah because again I do.    
** This last entry is epic. I was in an elevator with a guy from another department and he congratulated me for my promotion. But I was never promoted that year, so I told him he might be referring to Kathy from Network Processing. Turned out I learned that day that Kathy was indeed promoted.

After all these incidents, we were teasing that we will both wear a nameplate next time to avoid confusion. Just in case you're still skeptical here's a photo of me and Kathy. One random day we bump outside the office wearing the same dress color and design, same ID lanyard, and both flat shoes. In this case, the ID didn't help since they also look the same. Promise we didn't plan for these twinning dress outfit. The eyeglasses is a give away though so you would know who is who đź‘Ż

Twinning day in the office

Bali getaway


  

Comments

Popular Posts